The Happy Camper is the essential guide to the great outdoors. Every page is packed with information on how to enjoy camping as the adventure it can be rather than a bug-infested endurance test. Kevin Callan, one of North America's top canoeing and outdoors experts, explains how to get the most from a camping trip no matter the location, the weather and the company.
Kevin Callan has an enthusiasm for wilderness camping that experienced campers can relate to and novice campers will find contagious. In The Happy Camper he combines decades of wilderness experience with his trademark humor to create a comprehensive, heavily illustrated and highly entertaining compendium of basic wilderness instruction and campsite advice.
The book shows step by step:
- How to plan a trip for a day or even a few weeks
- How to pack only what is needed
- How to beat the bugs, stake a tent, build a fire, ward off unwanted wildlife, paddle a canoe and much more.
Other crucial topics include:
- Choosing the perfect campsite
- Using maps and compasses
- Camp cooking
- Camping with dogs and kids
- Bruises, blisters and Band-Aids
- Canoe and kayak camping
- Wilderness photography
- Cold-weather camping.
Kevin Callan is his own camping school and The Happy Camper is the textbook. It's essential to planning a camping trip and a must for the backpack.